Maryland has one private school choice program, a school voucher.
Maryland offers K–12 students and their families a few types of school choice, including one private school choice program, charter schools, magnet schools and homeschooling. Maryland does not offer any type of public school choice through open enrollment.
- Maryland’s Broadening Options and Opportunities for Students Today (BOOST) Program, the state’s first private school choice program, provides vouchers to low-income students to attend private schools.
- Enacted 2016
- Income Limit: 100 percent x FRL
- Prior Year Public School Requirement: None
- Geographic Limit: Statewide
- Enrollment Cap: None
- Voucher Cap: 100% Statewide Average Per-Pupil Expenditure by Local Education Agencies
- Testing Mandates: Nationally norm-referenced tests