Virginia has one private school choice program, a tax-credit scholarship.
Virginia offers K–12 students and their families several types of school choice, including a private school choice program, charter schools, magnet schools, home schooling and intra-district public school choice via an open enrollment policy.
Education Improvement Scholarships Tax Credits Program
- Virginia’s Education Improvement Scholarships Tax Credits Program offers a 65 percent tax credit to individuals and businesses to donate to qualified scholarship foundations. The foundations then provide private school scholarships to students whose families meet the income requirements.
- Enacted 2012
- Income Limit: 300 percent x Poverty (400 percent for students with special needs)
- Prior Year Public School Requirement: Yes, with exceptions
- Geographic Limit: Statewide
- Enrollment Cap: None
- Scholarship Cap: 100 percent of state funding
- Testing Mandates: Nationally norm-referenced tests
- Credit Value: 65 percent
- Per Donor Credit Cap: $125,000 (individual) / None (business)
- Total Tax Credit Cap: $25 million
To find out more about educational choice programs in your state, please complete the below form.
Note: State content and data can be attributed to EdChoice. Learn more at: https://www.edchoice.org/