Maine has one private school choice program, a town tuitioning program.
Maine offers K–12 students and their families some types of school choice, including a town tuitioning program, charter schools, magnet schools, homeschooling and inter-district and intra-district public school choice via an open enrollment policies.
Town Tuitioning Program
- Maine’s Town Tuitioning Program is the second oldest school choice program in the nation. The program allows students from a town without a public school to attend either a public school in another town or a non-religious private school.
- Launched in 1873
- Income Limit: None
- Prior Year Public School Requirement: None
- Geographic Limit: District (without elementary or high school)
- Enrollment Cap: None
- Voucher Cap: $9,724 (K–8) / $11,952 (9–12)
- Testing Mandates: Conditional (State test)